I remember watching Brookdale Mall (Brooklyn Center, Minnesota) being constructed as we all eagerly peered out the school bus windows, on our way to Northport elementary. (It was my kindergarten year, and everything was bustling with “newness”.)
It was magical – Just imagining a mass of stores, under one cover, in a luxurious setting with restaurants attached – called: A MALL!
So many shopping firsts and fashion firsts were acquired at Brookdale Mall: Dayton’s, Penney’s, Donaldson’s, Snyder’s and……..Sears. I worked at Sears throughout High School….. it was a grand place to work. I can’t remember a time as a little girl when I didn’t look forward to the “Christmas Wish Book“, or going with my Dad to get a “Craftsman” tool. And when Mom’s washer went on the blink – off we’d go to Sears for a replacement. Sears was the store for the Everyman.
The demolishing of Brookdale Mall a number of years back left one vestige standing: Sears. But now – it will soon be demolished as well.
I visited my flagship job/store/memory maker – in the last final days, and it was heartbreaking. Below are a few pictures on the history of Sears – as I remember it and photographed it.
Nothing stays the same.
And, at times, they simply vanish.
It’s a harsh world we live in.
Diversity acceptance should be the norm – but it’s not. We rarely accept our own differences – the ones that make us unique, let alone accept what is foreign to us or is a challenge to our norms.
How we deal with encountering diversity will measure us:
- We can either look the other way,
- Engage awkwardly as if some “kindly act”,
…..or perhaps we simply open our arms and hearts and listen and learn.
Please pause for 2 minutes and read this. It could save your life!!
- Let’s say it’s 7.25pm and you’re going home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the job.
- You’re really tired, upset and frustrated.
- Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up in to your jaw. You are only about five km from the hospital nearest your home.
- Unfortunately you don’t know if you’ll be able to make it that far.
- You have been trained in CPR, but the guy who taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.
- HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE? Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.
- However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.
- Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.
- Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!!
- Cardiologists say that if everyone who reads this would forward it to 10 people, you can bet that we’ll save at least one life.
Dignity by Design Enterprise
“I have an autoimmune disease…..
I just wish more people understood . . . what I have is not a cold or the flu. I will never get better. A nap won’t help. I’m on meds to keep me alive because my cells attack all cells thinking all cells are bad – but this kills good cells which are in the body to help me.
Please, in honor of someone who is fighting Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Sarcoidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hepatitis, Diabetes, Celiac, Lupus, PBC, CIDP, UC, Crones, Hashimotos . . . (copy, and paste).” -author unknown
In RESPONSE: At Dignity by Design*, I work with ALL of the diseases that are mentioned above – and many, many more.
It is true – people are not aware of – nor cannot truly empathize with – the inner struggles associated with individual disabilities (nor outer struggles for that matter). It’s difficult for anyone dealing with a disability to be patronized, or awkwardly sympathized with, or to have to “describe” or “qualify” one’s self over and over, day in – day out. When the world doesn’t see a “cookie-cutter” human – they often turn away or literally act incapable of natural human interaction – simply due to their personal discomfort.
Here is my advice: GET OVER IT! Deal with all humans with respect and actual INTEREST in them as human beings – not diseases. Get to know the PERSON – not the disability….. then all else will fall into place. Maybe… a new friendship, maybe…. Better understanding of your partner or child or parent.
Diversity is what makes the world go round – Embrace it!
Thought of the Day
(or 143 days to be exact)
We are working under a madman – a lunatic and coup – a rogue Congress that does NOT serve the people, and our planet is up for grabs. The press keeps trying to make SOME sense to this madman, his nonsensical speech, his…..crazy – and there is none to be had.
Are WE all insane? Is that what was and IS wanted by the Republican National Committee? What is the purpose of driving this country, its’ laws and respect into the ground and taking the rest of the planet with it?
Moral compass and humanity is in decay and we are being herded like Lemmings off the cliff – with evidently no voice or power to our millions of voices, as we howl to the moon (while there is one).
After months of protests by the Peaceful Water Protectors and the Indigenous peoples of Standing Rock (rightful owners of this treaty land) – the Militarized Police squads representing #DAPL Energy Transfer Partners Big Oil have forced the Indigenous off of their own land, arrested and brutalized the #Natives and Water Protectors – forced them at gunpoint onto nearby reservations, raided those reservations and continue to push them off of each reservation that they go to. This is not justice – this is not upholding US/Native Treaties.
This is a fascist Government protecting one BIG OIL corporation for profit.
We as Americans, and the World, are watching – watching as this Government allows terroristic attacks against the Indigenous peoples – and allows our CLEAN WATER supplies to be poisoned, all for corporate greed and immediate profits.
Now is the time to persevere – with the Letter of the LAW, fighting this in impartial courts. It is our sacred duty – to our land and to our people! Aho!
Today I read a response to a meme that shook me to the core.
By now, we’ve all seen the meme:
I wasn’t enraged because the response was vicious or cursed – on the contrary: It was elitist and dismissive and only one sentence:
“Mountains,out of mole hills….typical.”
Thus…it garnered an immediate response. But NOT my typical response. NO:
“It might be an entirely different “mole hill” if your daughter, wife or son was: black, gay, Jewish, disabled, sexually assaulted or abused, killed or raped.
Of course that never happens, does it? Or maybe it just doesn’t happen to you. And the defense of the assaulter can always state that “It’s just a mole hill” – can’t they? Now they can – now they have a green light.
THAT may now be the “typical” – let them eat cake. The Twitter feeds were lit up with “The minute T wins, I’m gonna grab me the nearest pussy.” (Hundreds literally) NONE of this is typical – and I’m offended to my very core.”
YES: I’m offended.
YES: I’m scared that hate, bigotry and permissiveness is the new Mantra of our highest office.
And if YOU’RE not scared – your mountain must be very high indeed.